Christian Petroske is President of Shoutworks, a new WordPress plugin that lets you publish content to Amazon Alexa with the push of a button. ShoutWorks lets you send notifications through Amazon Alexa, with a 90 percent plus open rate. This helps publishers grow their audience, get more leads, and boost sales in a few clicks.
In this episode, Christian and host Carl Robinson discuss the Shoutworks WordPress plugin, what it is, and how it helps you create an Alexa skill in just one click. Christian also discusses why the pandemic is a good time to launch a voice start-up, and what’s currently holding the voice tech industry back.
Christian discusses why his team took a template-first approach, and the benefits to developers and end-users. Voice Tech finds out what Christian believes is holding back the voice industry right now, along with why launching a voice startup during a pandemic is a very smart move!
This sophisticated Shoutworks plugin allows smaller publishers to use the content from their blog, and then through the plugin send notifications to Alexa seamlessly.
Until now, this accessibility has only been available to larger publishers, including NPR, Coca-Cola, because megabrands such as these can spend thousands of dollars on creating Alexa skills. This has allowed big-name brands to drive significant traffic to their WordPress sites via Shoutworks.
Shoutworks’ goal is to democratize access to Amazon Alexa. It is super easy to use, and takes away the expensive and time-intensive aspects of building an Alexa skill.
The real problem Shoutworks is solving is for small businesses and entrepreneurs to build an audience and drive engagement over this new voice tech medium. With voice tech, businesses definitely have less competition, and the possibilities for deeper engagement are actually greater. Shoutworks is changing the playing field for smaller publishers with limited resources, opening up new opportunities for massive engagement.
- Shoutworks allows smaller publishers to use content from a WordPress site, and send notifications to Alexa seamlessly.
- Shoutworks’ goal is to really democratize access to Alexa with the push of a button.
- The plugin replaces the cost and time of creating an Alexa skill, and makes sharing content to Alexa seamless.
- Publishers of any size can now leverage voice tech for the first time and get the massive engagement that Alexa offes.
- With Shoutworks, a user doesn’t have to read documentation, or understand how the plugin works. It’s all about getting the content out there to the audience with the least amount of effort.
- Shoutworks has only a few options, and this reduces the amount of stress a user faces, because often interfaces with too many options cause stress and content problems.
- Voice tech is being held back by the lack of content on the Alexa skill store.
- There’s a need for a lot more Alexa skills; there are around 100,000, but in reality that isn’t many.
- For the vast majority of consumers to come onboard with Alexa, Christian believes the tech world needs to find the next set of killer apps.
- Christian believes the next round of skills will be localized and niche focused, so that anyone can find a specific thing that they’re interested in, and find something relevant to be helpful.
- The next spurt in growth in the voice ecosystems, like in Amazon and Google Home, will come when there is more content.
- If you can prove your solution during a crisis, then that only adds weight to your argument, that you’ve got something that’s that’s providing real value to people and investors will take note.
Quotes from the show
[06:49] Shoutworks is a WordPress plugin, creating an Alexa skill from a WordPress site in one click.
[07:39] Large brands spend $10,000s to create custom skills. We make that available to anyone.
[20:29] It’s about getting your content out there with the least amount of effort.
Links from the show
- Manning books << 40% off all books code: PODVOICETECH19
- Conversation Design Institute << 25% off courses: VOICETECH25
- Digital Assistant Academy << 25% off courses: DAVID25
- World Class Business Leaders EU conference << 30% off tickets: VoiceTech30EU
- Voice Tech Pro listener upgrade << no ads, early access, bonus content
- A big thank you to all the sponsors who continue to support the Voice Tech Podcast Show during this difficult time, including com, Dabblelab, Voxpow, Readspeaker and Pulselabs.
Subscribe for more episodes
- Apple iTunes: https://apple.co/2LqW4ol
- Google Podcasts: http://bit.ly/voicetechpodcast-google
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2IZr5hm
Read all about it
- Newsletter: https://voicetechpodcast.com/newsletter
- Medium Blog: https://voicetechpodcast.com/medium
- Write for us: https://voicetechpodcast.com/publish
Make your voice heard
- Twitter: https://voicetechpodcast.com/twitter
- Reddit: https://voicetechpodcast.com/reddit
- Facebook: https://voicetechpodcast.com/facebook
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Show your support
Share this article
If you found value in this article, please consider helping others by sharing to your network. Just click one of the links below.